The Facebook Debugger lets you preview how your content will look when it’s shared to Facebook and debug any issues with your Open Graph tags
The Facebook site makes use of this tool in order to decide the kind of details and contents to display when a particular link is shared to your web page or site.
What Is Debugging? – Facebook Open Graph Debugger
I know you may have never come across this word Debugging before. Well, it is not a common word, but it is surely one useful tool that a lot of people out there do not know about. Now let me quickly brief you on what
the term Debugging means.
Debugging is the act of detecting and working on problems within a system or computer program that deprive the correct action of a system or a computer program.
How Does Facebook Open Graph Debugger Work?
The Facebook Open Graph Debugger is one helpful tool that allows you to detect and resolve an URL of your web page or site before it gives back details about your site and the problems it will contain while you share it on Facebook.
This means that, if there are any problems contained in the contents and URLs of your site you share to Facebook, the Open Graph Debugger tool helps to detect and resolve these problems before it returns every other
detail of your site back to you.
However, for you to start making use of this tool, you need to have a Facebook account since you are sharing your URL and contents to the Facebook platform.
Although you need to have a Facebook account to make use of this tool, this does not mean the whole Debugger process has to start from the main Facebook platform. You have to visit the Facebook Open Graph Debugger page
and enter the URL of your web page or site and start the process.
Once you get started, you will get all the details of that particular URL, including the problems contained in the URL. You will also find processes on how to correct
these problems and errors.
How to Use Facebook Open Graph Debugger to Fix Errors
The Facebook Open Graph Debugger allows you to view contents and URLs of your site from Facebook’s own view. It displays to you, the way your URL or content will look like when you share them on Facebook.
This then give users the control of the details of their sites shared on the Facebook platform. It is absolutely one helpful tool you should never miss out on. Now without
much ado, let us quickly see how we can get started with this tool.
- Go to the Facebook Open Graph Debugger site on https://developers.facebook.com/tool/debug.
- You must have your Facebook account logged in to your device first. When the page is open, you will find a box tagged “Enter URL”. In this box, you have to paste in the link that does not show properly when you post it to Facebook. Once you have pasted it, click on “Debug” and select Fetch New Scrape Information.
- The Facebook Debugger tool will then display to you the problems of the link that does not display properly when shared to Facebook. You will see a tag like “Warnings that should be fixed”.
- Also, you can correct these errors right away by changing your blog post. And when you are done, go back to the page and click on “Scrape again”.
- And if there are no more errors and warnings to correct, go to the preview of the link, and click on “See this in the share dialog”. Then post to Facebook.